The public is invited to attend the Safe Kids Lee/Collier Counties “lookout cookout” and safety fair at Gulf Coast Town Center in recognition of Safe Kids Day, May 18 from 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. The lookout cookout is a family-friendly event featuring local restaurants, as well as age-appropriate injury prevention games and educational booths.
Members of Safe Kids Lee/Collier Counties will reach out to families and attendees with valuable safety tips to prevent drowning, sports-related injuries and other unintentional childhood injuries. Children can meet the meet the firefighters and tour the San Carlos Fire Rescue truck, check out the Lee County marine patrol boat, and participate in games and hands-on activities. Guest speakers include local children’s safety advocates from Golisano Children’s Hospital, as well as local families who have experienced the loss or injury of a child due to unintentional and preventable circumstances.
• 11 a.m.: Welcome by Sally Kreuscher, Safe Kids Lee/Collier Counties Coordinator
• 11:30 a.m.: Youth Sports Injury Prevention by Mark Tesoro, Lee Memorial Health System and Florida Gulf Coast University athletic trainers
• Noon: Distracted Driving Awareness featuring Hannah Grant family, sponsored by Sprint
• 12:15 p.m.: Martial Arts demonstration by United Martial Arts
• 12:45 p.m.: Drowning Prevention presented by Michele King, Director of Child Life at Golisano Children’s Hospital of Southwest Florida
• 1 p.m.: Dance Group performance by ILT Dance
• 1:10 p.m.: Reggie McKinnon shares a “Promise to Payton” for Hyperthermia Awareness
• 1:30 p.m.: Bullying Awareness presented by Foster’s and Rodan + Fields
To help raise funds and awareness for Safe Kids Lee/Collier Counties Coalition, local businesses, community organizations and individuals are encouraged to create a team and register online at www.safekidsleecollier.org. Proceeds from Safe Kids Day support the injury prevention efforts of Safe Kids Lee/Collier Counties and Safe Kids Worldwide, enabling these organizations to reach more families with life-saving prevention information, to expand existing programs and launch new programs to protect kids in Southwest Florida.
Safe Kids Day sponsors include Wells Fargo, Allstate Insurance Co., Pool Pros. Inc., Sprint, Fosters Grille, Rodan + Fields® Dermatologists, Home Depot, Protect-a-Child Pool Fence of SWFL, Kona Ice, Val Ward Cadillac, The Rush Coffee and Tea Shop, Red Robin, Coldstone Creamery, Famous Dave’s and Costco. Additional sponsorship opportunities are available. Vendors and organizations interested in participating in the lookout cookout and safety fair can contact Sally Kreuscher, coordinator, Safe Kids Lee/Collier Counties at 239-343-6199 for more information.
Safe Kids Lee/Collier Counties works to prevent unintentional childhood injury, the number one cause of death for children in the United States. Safe Kids Lee/Collier Counties is a member of Safe Kids Worldwide, a global network of organizations dedicated to preventing unintentional injury. Safe Kids Lee/Collier Counties was founded in 1996 and is led by Golisano Children’s Hospital of Southwest Florida. For more information, visit www.safekidsleecollier.org.